You might find yourself feeling overwhelmed when learning how to install a water softener. A water softening system is technical and requires proper installation. No need to stress – our team of water softening experts can help you out. Learn the correct way to install a water softener in this guide.
Steps for installing a water softener
Installing a water softener can be easy if you follow our step-to-step list. Before you get ready to install a water softener, here are some tools you might want to add to your shopping list if you don’t already have them on standby. These tools might differ depending on the type of water softening system you are installing but as a general guide, it’s best to have them.
- Pipe cutters
- Tape measure
- Flexible tubing
- Teflon tape
- PVC solvent
- Copper fittings
- Union fittings
- Elbow fitting
Step by step instructions to install a water softener
- First, ensure all your taps are closed and turn the main water line off.
- Turn off your water heater and switch off the power to the water heater
- Find out where you need to install your water softener. Make sure it sits by your main water line and does not just supply your heater.
- Cut into your main line with a pipe cutter. There might be water spilling out so make sure it stops before attempting to connect.
- Now you need to install your elbow fitting and bypass valve. Measure your pipes with your tape measure and cut your pipes to fit into the bypass valve. Use your torch to attach any fittings.
- Once the pipes are attached to the unit, use adapters to attach the pipes to the water softener. Attach the pipes to the unit.
- Most systems should have brass adaptors supplied with the unit but you probably need to check with the manufacturer for these.
- Now it’s time to secure your drain hose. Use a clamp and ensure it is fed to the drain location. You can choose to allow it to drain on the yard or make a french drain.
- When this is done, you will have to connect your overflow tube to the brine tank. You need to check the manufacturer’s instructions for these specifications as each system is different.
- Clean up your system and remove any debris.
- Turn on the valve and let your water flush through it.
Trust an expert in water softener installation
Water softener plumbing and installation can be tricky. If you don’t have plumbing knowledge or if you aren’t a DIY expert, it may be best to call in a professional. Even if you do have the experience, a water softening system is often an expensive investment and you don’t want to risk damaging any part. A professional water softener installer can help you properly assess your home and ensure that your water softener is installed correctly for your home.
At Aqua Soft Water Systems, we provide only professional installation of water softener systems. You can trust our team of experts to have the right equipment, skills, and tools for the job. We’ll ensure that you don’t have to make several trips to the hardware store and that your water system works right the first time.
To find out how to install a water softener or for help, contact our team of experts today!