As a homeowner, you should be following the right water treatment tips and best practices to filter the water you and your family consume. Aqua Soft Palm Beach delves into the working of three popular water filtrations systems.
UV water purification
Considered the most effective method to eliminate bacteria in water, the ultraviolet water purification process involves germicidal UV rays penetrating through disease-causing microorganisms in water. It alters and scrambles the DNA of the microorganisms so they are unable to reproduce and remain in the water to cause diseases. This method is cost-effective and environmentally friendly with a success rate of destroying 99.99 microorganisms. UV water purification does not change the odor or taste of the water as it does not use any chemicals in the process.
The types of bacteria that can be eliminated using the ultraviolet purification method include salmonella, fungi, cryptosporidium, E.coli, giardia and many others. This method of purification is generally used in conjunction with other filtration processes such as carbon block filters or reverse osmosis.
Thus, the benefits of using a UV water purification system are:
- Quick, cost-effective and energy-efficient treatment of water
- It is a chemical-free method of water purification
- It requires minimal upkeep or maintenance
- These systems are easy to clean
- It is an FDA-approved purification system
Reverse osmosis works by forcing water through a plastic membrane sheet to remove compounds such as microorganisms, chemicals, viruses and pharmaceuticals. It is also a process that is used extensively across desalination plants to remove salt. The reverse osmosis membranes are constructed from flat sheets that comprise of three layers:
- Polyester fabric support base
- Microporous polysulfone layer
- Polyamide barrier layer
Thus, reverse osmosis takes place when unfiltered water passes through the three layers to remove harmful compounds and microorganisms. Even though the reverse osmosis process does not guarantee better smelling or tasting water, it does eliminate all harmful substances that may adversely affect you and your family.
The benefits of a reverse osmosis system are as follows:
- It is highly effective in removing contaminants.
- It is an energy-efficient method of water treatment
- It is connected directly to the faucet with a provision of clean water at any time.
- This system can remove minerals, reducing the need for an additional softener too.
- With the removal of impurities and minerals, this system provides better-tasting water.
One of the most common and oldest methods of water filtration, distillation involves boiling water and then allowing it to condense. This condensed water is stripped of most contaminants and collected in another vessel.
In this system of water filtration, there may be carry-overs such as pesticides and herbicides that have lower boiling points than 100°C.
The process of distillation is rarely found in homes as the equipment requires a lot of space to be set up. It also utilizes large amounts of water and energy during its process and is much slower than other filtration systems.
The health benefits of the distillation process include:
- The treated water is free of harmful viruses or bacteria.
- The process can remove carcinogenic chemicals
- Drinking distilled water promotes natural detox and cleansing
For more water treatment tips and best practices, look no further – contact Aqua Soft Palm Beach today!